Sunday, April 17, 2011

Taoist Approach

     The Tao of Pooh was one of the most light-hearted, enjoyable books I have read for a college course.  Because I was such an avid Winnie-The-Pooh fan as a child, it was so easy for me to envision the characters once more and identify all of the qualities described within the book.  It was very easy for me to finally understand the qualities of Taoists when they were related to the characters in Christopher Robin’s neighborhood.  I had a very positive reaction to reading this book but at times, I had to realize that I was reading about a certain religion and not only about characters from my childhood.

     I could not stop from laughing at the multi-page description of the ‘bisy backsons’ because I see myself as one of those people.  I feel the need to enroll in as many classes as possible, take on any favor that is asked of me, and to say “yes” to any and all opportunities assigned at work and within my student organization.  I can’t stop myself from being busy!  I’m “nervously glancing at [my] watch” as I rush from one activity to the next (95).   I constantly complain, like most Americans, about time flying and never having the time to accomplish all tasks desired.  America is full of bisy backsons who find it hard to just find the time to enjoy the little things in life.  Each day goes by with hopes that their effort will pay off as they “try their hardest to convince us that there is a Great Reward waiting for us somewhere” (97).  There was little exaggeration in Benjamin Hoff’s critique.  I, and many people I know, am completely guilty of focusing on a To-Do List and not taking the time to enjoy the beautiful, serene things in life. 

     I find it interesting that Winnie the Pooh, a Taoist type outlook, describes it as a “Brain” getting in the way of daily activity.  Goal oriented Americans “have Brain, and Brain can be fooled” which indicates that the ‘Inner Nature’ of all people can be misguided and ultimately leave people unhappy (57).  It was stated that enjoyment is the answer to this problem and if people took it upon themselves to enjoy each daily process, they would feel more fulfilled (112).  I agree that if people take a step back from business and actually have time relaxing and enjoying nature, the people around them, and the fun in conversation, they would lead a much happier life.  I will not go as far to say that following Pooh is the complete solution- it may help but it will not solve problems.  If Taoism really is the solution, then more people would have caught on by now and simple Pooh-like characters would be more prominent in everyday life.

<http://unconventionallibrarian.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/pooh2.jpg>

** All quotes taken from the Tao of Pooh pages 1-115



4 comments:

  1. My student organization also fills up my calendar! With school, work and my student org, it is definitely a skill I have mastered in time management. I agree that Taoism is not the solution to the American lifestyle. It would be nice if more people in our society were to relax and appreciate their surroundings a bit more but that's what retirement is for. :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it was easy to understand the main Taoist concepts because the link to Winnie the Pooh. I, like you, was a huge fan of Winnie the Pooh as a child; that made reading and grasping the main ideas so much easier. You are definitely not alone if feeling there are not enough hours in the day to finish the tasks I would like to. I'm always planing out my day, constantly making lists of places to go and assignments that need to be completed. I think it is quite possible to be a stereotypical American, running around from place to place, but also enjoying life at the same time. People plan out when they are going to take some time for themselves, engaging in whatever hobby interests them, or spending some relaxing time with their loved ones. While it would be nicer if these could occur more spontaneously our schedules just don't allow it. I, like you, thought Taoism was not a "solution" to the American culture "problem," but for different reasons. I don't think our culture has a problem, I don't feel one culture can tell another that its wrong and tell them how to solve that apparent problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can completely relate to feeling like there is so much to do and not enough time. As Americans, we are constantly complaining about it, but do very little to fix the problem. In many circumstances, there aren't many options to fix the problem. We are hard-wired to run non-stop and go until we can no longer keep up. It is simply our nature, sad but true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with what you were saying on the voice of Pooh couldn't get away from him speaking. But also yes we are Americans and yes we want it here and right now. Can't want for it till next week, but needs to be done by yesterday kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete